All the museums
Peabody Essex Museum
PEM is the place to come for enjoyment, enrichment, sharing with family and friends, and creative stimulation. The mission of the Peabody Essex Museum is to celebrate outstanding artistic and cultural creativity by collecting, stewarding and interpreting objects of art and culture in ways that increase knowledge, enrich the spirit, engage the mind and stimulate the senses. Through its exhibitions, programs, publications, media and related activities, PEM strives to create experiences that transform people's lives by broadening their perspectives, attitudes, and knowledge of themselves and the wider world.
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
Founded in 1866, the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology is one of the world’s oldest museums dedicated to anthropology. It holds one of the most comprehensive records of human cultural history in the Western Hemisphere. Its current building opened in 1878 and houses some two and a half million objects, including collections from Africa, Oceania, ancient Europe, North America, Mesoamerica, and South America. Much of this material was acquired through the university’s hundreds of expeditions and excavations, as well as through the acquisition of collections and individual donations. Archaeological holdings number in the millions and comprise the bulk of the museum’s collection. Within this, its collections from the Americas are unparalleled. They focus primarily on the Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, and the Arctic. The Central American archaeological collection is the most extensive and varied Mesoamerican collection outside of Mexico and is particularly strong on Maya material. It is also noted for its holdings from lower Central America, the Caribbean Islands, and other Mexican civilizations such as the Aztec, Casas Grandes, and West Mexico. It includes holdings transferred in 1948 from the Carnegie Institution in Washington, D.C. The South American archaeological collection focuses primarily on Peru and is strong in material from the Inca, Chimu, Nazca, and Moche. It features a rare collection of pottery excavated from near Lake Valencia, Venezuela. Though smaller in number, the Peabody’s ethnographic holdings are of fine quality and contribute significantly to its standing as a world-class research institution. It holds one of the most comprehensive collections of North American ethnology, which includes the only surviving Native American objects collected by Lewis and Clark. Its African collection numbers some 20,000 objects, some collected as early as 1800. The African collection is particularly strong in material from Liberia, southern Cameroon, and Uganda. Additionally, the museum holds an important collection of African musical instruments from across the continent. The Oceanic and Indonesian collection is comprehensive, containing material from Easter Island to New Guinea, and throughout Island Southeast Asia and Australia. It numbers around 23,000 objects, some collected in the eighteenth century. It also features some archaeological material, primarily from Tasmania and Australia. In addition to objects, the Peabody possesses one of the world’s largest photographic archives documenting the cultures of indigenous peoples across the globe. Only a small percentage of the objects are on display. Storage is accessible to researchers by appointment.
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
Founded in 1887, the Penn Museum has always been one of the world’s great archaeology and anthropology research museums, and the largest university museum in the United States. With roughly one million objects in our care, the Penn Museum encapsulates and illustrates the human story: who we are and where we came from. As a dynamic research institution with many ongoing research projects, the Museum is a vibrant and engaging place of continual discovery, with the mandate of research, teaching, collections stewardship, and public engagement—the four “pillars” of what we do.
Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology
The Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology (formerly the Lowie Museum of Anthropology) is located on the University of California, Berkeley campus. Founded in 1901 under the patronage of Phoebe Apperson Hearst, the original goal of the museum was to support systematic collecting efforts by archaeologists and ethnologists in order to support a department of Anthropology at the University of California. Today, it functions as a research unit of the University of California. Its mission is "to study the past and the present in order to encourage dialogue, understanding, and respect, as well as facilitate connections by helping people relate to objects, cultures, and to one another". The museum contains an estimated 3.8 million objects from California and around the world, as well as extensive documents, photographs and film recordings. Among the highlights, a large Peruvian collection, especially strong in pottery and textiles, and partly collected by Max Uhle at the turn of the century; around 9,000 California Indian baskets; around 32,000 African artifacts collected by the anthropologist William Bascom and from the excavations undertaken by J. Desmond Clark; an important collection of Oceanic objects, including collections from the Trobriand Islands made by Bronislaw Malinowski in the early 1900s and archaeological collections from excavations in Fiji and New Caledonia undertaken by E.W. Gifford in the 1940s and 1950s.
Pitt Rivers Museum
The Pitt Rivers Museum holds one of the world’s finest collections of ethnographic and archaeological objects from across the globe. It was founded in 1884 when General Pitt-Rivers, an influential figure in the development of archaeology and evolutionary anthropology, gave his collection to the University of Oxford. The General’s founding gift contained more than 18,000 objects but there are now over half a million. In addition to objects, the collection includes extensive photographic and sound archives, which contain early records of great importance. The photographic department, with its dedicated collection mission and specialist staff, is the only department of its kind in an anthropology museum in the UK. The photograph collections are particularly strong in nineteenth and early twentieth century material, featuring the photography of travellers such as Sir Wilfred Thesiger, whose collection alone numbers some 38,000 images. The Museum continues to collect through donations, bequests, special purchases and through its staff and students, in the course of their fieldwork. The Museum offers an extensive program of exhibitions and events for all ages throughout the year. Further details can be found on our website. Free admission.
The Museum was founded as part of celebrations to mark Montréal’s 350th birthday, and owes its existence largely to the significant archaeological discoveries made on the site during the 1980s. In fact, the Museum and its site are inextricably linked. Rising above evidence of more than 1,000 years of human activity, it houses remarkable architectural remains, displayed in situ with absolute respect for their integrity. Pointe-à-Callière is the only sizeable archaeology museum in Canada. The hundreds of artifacts it houses are grouped into six main sections: the Éperon, a modern building that has won many architectural awards; the archaeological crypt on the lower level; the renovated Ancienne-Douane building (Montréal’s first Custom House), the Youville Pumping Station, the Archaeological Field School and the Mariners' House. The museum of a site, a history and a city, Pointe-à-Callière delves into the past to foster a debate on urban issues both local and global, and to encourage visitors to reflect on the future.
Princeton University Art Museum
With origins dating to the 1750s, the Princeton University Art Museum is one of the world's leading university art museums with collections of more than 92,000 works of art that range from ancient to contemporary art and concentrate geographically on the Mediterranean regions, Western Europe, China, the United States and Latin America. Committed to advancing Princeton’s teaching and research missions, the Art Museum also serves as a gateway to the University for visitors from around the world. Intimate in scale yet expansive in scope, the Museum offers a respite from the rush of daily life, a revitalizing experience of extraordinary works of art, and an opportunity to delve deeply into the study of art and culture. The Princeton University Art Museum is located at the heart of the Princeton campus, a short walk from the shops and restaurants of Nassau Street. Admission is free. Museum hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. The Museum is closed on Mondays and major holidays.
The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation
The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation is an intimate house museum of twentieth-century sculptor Chaim Gross (1904-91). Three floors of the four-story building are open to the public. On the first floor is Gross's studio with a gallery that displays work spanning his career. Although primarily a wood carver, Gross produced sculptures in bronze and stone that can be seen in the gallery and studio space. On the second floor are revolving, thematic exhibitions. The third floor features Gross's collection of European, American, African, Oceanic, and Pre-Columbian art. The foundation's collection contains 2,000 pieces of historic African art and 100 Pre-Columbian sculptures. A highlight of the African collection is Gross's collection of Ashanti goldweights, 400 of which are on view in the dining room.
In 1949 the citizens of Zurich voted on turning the Villa Wesendonck into a museum for the collection of Baron Eduard von der Heydt which was to be donated to the city. In 1952 the Museum Rietberg of the City of Zurich opened its doors to the public. On 18 February 2007, the new, large extension opened its doors to the public. The exhibition space increased by 125%. The visitors enter the new museum through a glass pavilion, the “Emerald”, and proceed on into the foyer. From here, they descend to the two underground levels which comprise 1,300 m2 each. On the first underground level, the permanent collection galleries are situated along a clearly defined circuit with works of art from East Asia and Africa. The core of the museum collection still comprises those works of art which Eduard von der Heydt had bestowed to the City of Zurich in the early 1950s. Counting among the most treasured of the museum's assets, for example, are the early Buddhist sculptures from China, with works dating from the 6th and 7th centuries, but also exquisite wood sculpture from West Africa: they substantiated the renommé which the museum enjoys throughout the world. The temporary exhibition gallery is located on the second underground level. With an attractive exhibition programme, the museum continues to assert its position as one of the leading European exhibition institutions in the world.
Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Constructed during the 1860s and 1890s, the RAMM was initially proposed by Sir Stafford Northcote as a memorial to Prince Albert. Known originally as the Devon and Exeter Albert Memorial, the complex comprised a museum, art gallery, library, reading room, school of art, and school of science. The memorial's library separated from the institution in 1930, the school of science ultimately became Exeter University, and the school of art is now Plymouth University's Faculty of Art and Education. Following these shifting occupancies, the museum eventually expanded to fill the entire building. The RAMM is currently undergoing a major renovation and expansion which will add off-site storage space, complete redisplay of the museum's collections, and a new extension and rear entrance. Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, this project is scheduled to be completed in 2010. The museum holds permanent collections in archaeology, decorative and fine arts, local and natural history, and ethnographic art. The ethnographic collection is among the more significant in England, having been seeded and developed by the contributions of local families. The collection is particularly strong in West African and Pacific material, some of the latter being objects collected by Captain Cook. The collection of Nigerian sculptures includes an extensive series of Yoruba masks and ceremonial items, as well as Benin bronzes. Highlights of the Oceanic collections include an entire mourning dress, feather helmet, and feather cape from Hawaii.