All the museums
Lowe Art Museum
From its origins in three classrooms in 1948, the history of the Lowe Art Museum reflects an unswerving commitment to fulfill its mission to serve the University of Miami as a teaching resource, and the residents of and visitors to greater Miami as its major general art museum. With the gift in 1950 by philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, a free-standing museum facility opened to the public in 1952 as the first art museum in South Florida. Its 10,000-object collection is one of the most important in the Southeast, with strengths in Renaissance and Baroque, American, Native American, pre-Columbian, and Asian art. The development of its highly regarded collection is traced through sustained support from permanent-Miami and winter-resident patrons, who, from its beginning, have supported the Lowe with major gifts of art and funding. A 1956 donation by Alfred I. Barton brought one of the country’s finest collections of Native American art. The Lowe’s pre-Columbian collection (now 2,359 objects) was begun in 1958 but achieved international stature with the 1984 gift by Robert M. Bischoff of 531 works. The Alfred I. Barton Collection of Southwest Indian art, recognized by scholars as one of the finest in the United States, contains works that include textiles, baskets and other utilitarian objects. Some of the textiles are extremely rare examples of the Navajo, Pueblo, and Rio Grande weaving traditions. A Guatemalan textiles collection was started by a donation in 1958 numbering 50 pieces, collected by Harvard anthropologist Samuel K. Lothrop in the early twentieth century. It now numbers 505 examples, and complements North American Native and pre-Columbian textile holdings. Its African collection includes objects from various West African and Congo cultures, as well as Congo pieces field collected and donated by Lee and Aurora McMichen and Professor and Mrs. Robert R. Ferens. In recent years, the Lowe has augmented the collection through careful purchases.
Luther E. Bean Museum
No description available.
No description available
The Manchester Museum
We're the Museum on Oxford Road with the dinosaurs, mummies and live animals. We also have loads of other great stuff from the natural world and different cultures. These include fossils, rocks and minerals, stuffed animals, birds and insects, money, archery, lots of things made or used by people from different cultures and archaeological finds (including ancient Egyptian, Roman and Greek). The mission statement of the Museum includes using "its international collection of human and natural history for enjoyment and inspiration, working with people from all backgrounds to provoke debate and reflection about the past, present and future of the earth and its inhabitants".
MAO - Museo d’Arte Orientale
Turin’s Museum of Oriental Art, known as MAO, opened its doors to the public in December 2008. It is housed in Palazzo Mazzonis, an eighteenth-century building. The complex contains rooms for permanent displays and temporary exhibitions, a conference hall, rooms for teaching activities and a bookshop. The museum houses some 1,500 works which are divided between five separate “galleries” depending on their historical and geographical provenance: South Asia, China, Japan, the Himalayan Region and the Islamic countries of Asia. Examples of Gandharan, Indian and Southeast Asian art are displayed in the gallery dedicated to South Asia.
Musée de la Médecine
The Museum of Medicine has been going strong for more than 20 years; it is based on the university campus of the Erasme Hospital in Brussels; in itself, its construction alone is rather unusual, with its curves and counter curves and mass of iron, stone and glass. Its heritage is made up of more than 10,000 works of art and archaeological treasures on the theme of medicine in art, history and literature, from antiquity up until the present day, including Egyptian, African and Asian pieces. The most significant of these are on display in 8 rooms; explanatory panels and visio-guides are available to visitors. The museum has been designed with a multi-disciplinary approach, with the involvement of doctors, historians and art historians. Its philosophy is academic, with scientific research, the publication of original books, specialist historic and artistic work, using recent medical imaging techniques, international partnerships, loans and involvement in projects. It also puts on in-house and travelling exhibitions for school groups as well as experiences designed for foreign visitors. The Museum is recognised by the Wallonia Brussels Federation.
The Menil Collection is an art museum located in Houston, Texas, USA, in a 30-acre neighborhood of art. The main building houses special exhibitions and the permanent collection, and it anchors a campus with three other museum buildings: two are dedicated to single artists (Cy Twombly and Dan Flavin) and another to year-long installation projects; a fourth building is under construction for a drawing institute. Known for displays that allow the objects and works of art to speak for themselves—there are no “didactics” on the wall or media in the galleries—the Menil philosophy is to foster each individual’s direct, personal encounter with works of art. The display of carefully chosen artworks in sympathetic settings are Menil hallmarks.
The Metropolitan Museum of art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the most notable museums in the United States. Founded in 1870, it was established in its landmark Upper East Side building in 1880. Among its vast and varied holdings are more than 11,000 objects from sub-Saharan Africa; the Pacific Islands; and North, Central, and South America; which are overseen by a single curatorial department. Strengths of the collection include decorative and ceremonial objects from the Court of Benin in Nigeria; sculpture from West and Central Africa; sculpture in wood from New Guinea and the island groups of Melanesia and Polynesia; and objects of gold, ceramic, and stone from the pre-Columbian cultures of Mexico and Central and South America; which includes the Jan Mitchell Treasury for Pre-Columbian Works of Art in Gold that opened in the South American Gallery in 1993 and is the most comprehensive display of American gold objects in the world. Major donors to the collection include Nelson A. Rockefeller, Lester Wunderman, Mr. and Mrs. Klaus Perls (a recent gift of more than 100 Benin works), Fred and Rita Richman, Nathan Cummings, Jan Mitchell, Arthur M. Bullowa, and Jane Costello Goldberg. Although the Met made its first acquisitions in this field—a group of Peruvian antiquities—as early as 1882, no significant commitment to the arts of Africa, Oceania, or the Americas was made until 1969. At that time, Nelson A. Rockefeller offered the Met the entire collection of a museum that he had founded in 1954 in association with René d’Harnoncourt, the Museum of Primitive Art. Included in the gift were 3,300 works of art, a specialized library, and a photographic collection. As part of the acceptance of this collection, a separate department for the care, study, and exhibition of these works and study materials was established. Today the collection of the Department of the Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas is housed in the Michael C. Rockefeller Wing, named for Nelson Rockefeller’s son, who collected many of the Asmat objects from Irian Jaya that are now in the museum. Among the most spectacular objects in the wing are nine fifteen-foot-high Asmat memorial poles (bis) collected by Michael Rockefeller during an expedition to New Guinea in 1961. The Rockefeller Wing, designed as a mirror image of the Sackler Wing, opened to the public in February 1982 with 40,000 square feet of exhibition space on the south side of the museum. The Oceanic Gallery is currently undergoing renovation and will be closed until 2006. Temporary exhibitions organized by the department are held in the Rockefeller Wing’s special exhibition space. The department’s Robert Goldwater Library (named for the first director of Nelson Rockefeller’s Museum of Primitive Art) and Photograph Study Collection are open to researchers. The Photograph Study Collection also mounts temporary photography exhibitions in the wing’s east mezzanine.
Michael C. Carlos Museum of Emory University
Emory's collections date back to 1876 when a general museum was established on the original campus in Oxford, Georgia. The growth of the Museum since that time has matched the growth of the University as a teaching and research institution. From the nineteenth-century acquisitions of Asian material by Methodist missionaries, to the early twentieth-century acquisitions by Theology Professor William A. Shelton, to the more recent acquisitions developed to support the University's strengths in Latin American, African, Classical, and Middle Eastern Studies, the Museum has a distinguished history of providing opportunities for scholars in many disciplines to expand their work and for students to learn by participating in academically rigorous projects. The Carlos Museum is now one of the Southeast's premier ancient art museums with major collections of art objects from ancient Egypt, Nubia, Near East, Greece, Rome, ancient Americas, Africa, and Asia, as well as a collection of works on paper from the Renaissance to the present.